Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Yuyuan Garden & People's square

    April 14, 2012 in China ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    The weather didn't help us today, mostly foggy and some drizzle so instead of going to Pudong we spent the day shopping (well actually my wife did).

    The first place to visit was Yuyuan garden and bazaar, the place was mentioned in all the tourist guides and I also saw it in the QANTAS promotional video for Shanghai so I guessed it was worth a visit

    The Yuyuan garden is small compared to People's square for instance however the markets spread everywhere. I must admit that the place is quite touristy. The buildings although well preserved are fairly new and the prices are quite inflated. Anyway the place is nice and with good restaurants.

    We had lunch at one restaurant that is supposed to have the best dumplings in all Shanghai (according to the QANTAS video and also looking at the amount of people queuing up), instead of the take away option we went up stairs where they have a proper restaurant The food was actually good and a reasonable price.

    After buying some souvenirs we went back to the train this time in our way to Naijing Road. In day time the place looked completely different, the Neon lights were hardly seen and a bit less crowded. Shopping malls aligned along the road offering some of the most exclusive brands with prices even higher than in Australia.

    We finally got to People's square to have some rest, well not actually there was a mini theme park in there with some rides including one really similar to Dreamworld's "The Claw" so without wasting time Ximena jumped on this ride and then I followed........

    We spent sometime in the park watching people screaming their heads off at "The Claw" others exercising or just wondering around (We are not really into Museums so we didn't visit them)
    Read more