Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Katoomba & the 3 Sisters

    November 20, 2013 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    On holidays again, this time coming back to Sydney after nearly 10 years. As usual morning flight arriving in Sydney at 11am (due to the difference in time between NSW & QLD) and after grabbing a rental car from the airport we headed to Katoomba and the Blue Mountains. A quick detour took us to the big chook in Mount Vernon, I couldn't resist my passion for these big things.

    A nice drive from Sydney despite the road works and the reckless drivers, we arrive in Katoomba around 1PM on time for checking in. After some well deserved rest we decided to go to Scenic World and then come back to Echo Point.

    Lots of buses and a busy car park were signs that the place was crowded, we had learnt that most of buses leave around 3pm so we went for lunch and relax.

    As expected by 3:30 most of the buses left so we went to the first and most popular attraction, the steepest railway in the world, now this not a roller coaster but still it gets freaking steep!!! We then went for a walk in one of the tracks and came back to the top of the hill using the cableway. The last ride was the Skywalk, not as spectacular as shown on the website but still worth doing it. It was closed to 4:40pm by now and the place was about to close so we took the last ride on the scenic railway, pretty cool as we were the only ones in the train.

    Back a the motel, more time to rest before going to Echo Point and see the three sisters on sunset. Excellent choice, the 3 sisters turned a bit orange and the mountains looked amazingly blue. Not to mention that the place was nearly empty with most of the day trip tiurist back in Sydney.

    Time for dinner, tomorrow we are exploring Katoomba before drving back to Sydney....
    Read more