Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Angkor wat

    January 6, 2014 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    He headed early in the morning to check sunrise at Angkor Wat and then spent two hours exploring the temple. How marvelous it is, such an incredible skill the Khmer had to place all the stones in place, including the exceptional carving, the place is just astonishing. Our local guide Sun Same was smart enough to start the walk from the back so we had much of the temple just for us. When we got back to the main gate the crowds were starting to arrive.

    We then move to Bayon, again we skipped the famous South Gate and went straight to the temple, the carvings weren't as good as Angkor Wat but the best attractions were the huge faces that adorned the temple.

    We then continue to Ta Phron, made famous by Angelina Jolie in Tomb raider, by this time there was people every where. This was my prefered temple. It was impresive to see how the jungle is slowly devouring the temple adding some dramatic mistery to the place.

    Too tired to continue visiting temples we went back to the hotel at 1pm and agreed with Same to re-start again at 3pm and have a well deserved rest.

    In the afternoon we went to Tonle Sap, a huge fresh water lake that reminded me of the Titikaka in Peru. We visited the floating villages that again lookrd quite similar to villages in the Amazon back in Peru

    We finished the day with a buffet dinner with classic Khmer dance.
    Read more