Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    London

    March 6, 2016 in England ⋅ ⛅ 43 °F

    S slept pretty late. We got ready and prepared breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast w/jam and tea and fruit juice. We prepared lunches for the day and packed the day pack.

    Bought our travelcard at King's Cross and took the tube/DLR to the Cutty Sark in Greenwich. Our first stop was to the ship where we spent about an hour. It wasn't too busy and was fun and different from our usual choice of activity. We then wandered around the Old Royal Naval College and stopped in at the Painted Hall. We got lucky that Skittle Alley was open to the public (normally it's not) and played a game of bowling with old cannonballs like the pensioners used to do! We then found our way to Greenwich Market. Tons of food options and we regretted bringing our own food. We bought a few snacks and hot drinks to warm our bellies. None of the art really stood out to us so we didn't buy anything.

    We wandered around looking for the tourist info office, eventually finding it. The walking tour started at 2:15 and we went back to the Cutty Sark, ORNC, Painted Hall and the Queens House. It was repetitive but good to get a sense of the history behind what we'd already looked at. The tour was about 2hrs and we walked up a huge hill to the Royal Observatory/Prime Meridian. We took photos on the line outside the RO (didn't want to pay the steep entry fee). It then started hailing! We hurried back to the market because I had seen a baby onesie that I wanted to get.

    We took the tube back to the hotel and relaxed for a short while while we researched dinner options. We settled on the Marquis Cornwallis because they had a Sunday Roast (only to find out later that they stop serving it at 6pm). Since this is a pub, we seated ourselves and placed our order at the bar register. The waiter brought the food to our table. S got british lamb shepherd's pie and M got free range sausages, mustard mashed potatoes and a red port sauce. Also M got the Meantime lager (local brew). Both dishes were fantastic! Bought some snacks at a convenience store and back to apt to relax.
    Read more