Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • Dag 113

    Day 112 Wind Docked Cape Town

    12 april, Sydafrika ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    The Urnes-Style Broochnd
    Distinctive emblem of our Viking heritage
    You may have noticed this intricately wrought design element throughout the ship, from our wine labels and notepads to the masthead of your Viking Daily and your menu covers. The motif is believed to have first been forged into a brooch by Vikings, excellent metallurgists who created a variety of jewelry.
    A brooch bearing this striking design was unearthed in a churchyard in Pitney, Somerset, England and was dated to as far back as 800 AD. It was believed that the carefully forged piece, made of copper alloy bronze, depicted a fantastical beast entwined with snakes.
    Scholars noticed an undeniable similarity between its motif and that of the wood carvings found on the doors of the 12th-century Urnes Stave Church in Norway, and so came to call the design "Urnes style." Today, the distinct look is well known for its depiction of thin, stylized animals interwoven with snakes in tight circular patterns. Their heads, typically shown in profile, are dominated by almond-shaped eyes, suggesting their wide-eyed struggle against evil.
    The churchyard brooch may have been used by a Nordic woman to fasten the drapes of her hangeroc, or
    overdress. For Viking, with its precisely curved lines and deep earthen origins, the brooch motif has come to embody the Viking spirit of innovation, discovery and exploration that we strive to emulate.
    Läs mer