Satellite
  • Day 195

    Oktoberfest (Day 1)

    October 2, 2015 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    The traffic across the border into Germany from Austria was crazy. With strong border controls in place due to the refugee crisis our bus trip took twice as long but it's still only mid afternoon with plenty of time to party. Suki's friend Ben lives within 5 mins walk of Oktoberfest so we take a short stroll from the bus station and into one of the many stores selling Dirdls and Leiderhousens. 30 mins later we're suited up and looking the part ready to celebrate in one of the world biggest festivals.

    We drop out bags off and head into the festival. We meet Ben at on of the main tents who's taken the day off with a bunch of work mates. Mixing with a bunch of locals (who have been coming almost every year since they were legal to drink) we get an authentic local tour taking us to the best stops and rides. Highlights include:

    Devils Wheel - Ground based 'merry go round' which speeds up to throw everyone off with added rope and falling objects - the winner is the last one standing. Fun for all ages and very entertaining to watch.

    Toboggan - Fast moving conveyor belt (hilarious watching people fall over) which you have to jump on then climb up the stairs offering and amazing view of the festival followed a quick decent via the slippery slide.

    The night is topped off by losing our stomachs (and minds) on the Frisbee ride and we smash down some more festival food and we take the short stroll home.
    Read more