Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    La Traviata and beyond

    September 9, 2023 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    What an experience! From beginning to the moment we fell into bed at 2.00a.m

    We had to be at the Colosseum an hour before the performance. Literally hundreds of people milling around.

    I was told off with my bottle of water in an insulated container and had to be let out of the queue to buy a bottle in a bar! My water bottle was then put in a box for collection at the end, along with other assorted items. The box was then left un attended by the entrance to be collected when we left.

    The Colosseum was full to busting, most people looking very smart and some of the ladies outfits were stunning. One young lady was wearing a flapper style dress in glittering silver with silver sandals and purple glittery ankle socks.

    For a first trip to an Opera this did not disappoint, the atmosphere, the unwritten rules for silence or applause were followed perfectly. There was even an incident with some one becoming ill and medics quietly and quickly dealing with the situation and removing the person in a wheelchair.

    The performance was exceptional, the second act, beginning with a party was beautiful including a spectacular display of gold and streamers falling on the stage.

    As we left we found my bottle in the box where it had been left then we wandered back through the crowd stopping for a glass of wine and a sandwich - opera going makes you hungry!
    Read more