Satellite
  • Day 9

    Kurama to Kibune Hike

    May 15, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Today we set off for the outskirts of Kyoto. Think we got on the school bus run, all the Mums and littlies where on there. They are so cute, the kids are always fasinated with us. The little one just stare at you, and the bigger one wave or try out some hellos. Changed to the train to go up the mountain and luckily one of the guards must have been listening to us, there were two waiting there to choose from and we were on the wrong one. We still can’t figure out how that happened.

    This is only a little train and takes about half an hour to chug up the mountain and stop at every stop. I’d read someone’s recommendation for this hike to go the opposite way to most directions. So we hoped off on the second last stop at Kibune. Got the bus into town which is still another couple of kls up hill and after a look at Kibune-jinja Shrine.

    Found the entrance to our walk and paid the ¥300 to enter. My informant had said it was easier going up this way, it’s pretty steep but you get then worst part over in the first 20 minutes. He wasn’t kidding, steep doesn’t seem to be an appropriate word for it. Halfway up we were starting to think my inside informant was taking the piss, but it did get easier once the first lots of switch backs was over. There were quite a few rests stops on the way up. Luckily it’s quite cool here in the mountains and a bit overcast today as well. And there are not many other tourists so that’s a plus!

    Turned out to be a beautiful hike, little stops for temples and shrines, beautiful big trees, gorgeous Kurama-dera temple which sits on top of the mountain with spectacular views. Beautiful vistas everywhere you looked. And yes I think he was right in the end it was a nicer way to come across the mountain from Kibune. A great reward to get to Kurama-dera temple and all the beautiful lanterns and granite pathways down to Karama. Although we skipped the last few hundred meters of stairs and came down the Cable Car.
    Read more