Satélite
Exibir no mapa
  • Dia 48

    The Sinking City

    21 de outubro de 2023, Itália ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Today we said goodbye to the beautiful city of Florence and hello to another unique gem in Italy -- Venice!

    After a ~2hr train ride we arrived at the terminal and stepped out to view the Grand Canal in all of its splendor. Apparently Venice is sinking by 1-2mm per year, and let's just say it doesn't have too many left from our calculations. The water licked up the side of the paths and often spills over onto the footpaths.

    First up for us was finding our accommodation, which was slightly more difficult than our previous stays, due to the twists and turns of the canals. Once we found it and checked in we decided to go and watch our first movie while overseas! Aptly, it was A Haunting in Venice! A Hercule Poirot whodunit taking place in the city. The movie was good, ignoring the 10 year old Italian kids that decided to watch the film too (not sure why they'd be watching a murder mystery, maybe the times have changed)

    Afterwards we explored some of the city, which was even more flooded than before! They even brought out temporary raised paths for people to walk on in certain areas.

    After checking out the town we came back to the hostel to recharge a little before heading out for some dinner (pasta and a slice of pizza) and another token gelato.

    Step count: 17.3k
    Leia mais