Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    The Finale

    May 10, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    The last day of our travels since we left NZ on 4th April. (37 days)
    The last day of constant adventure since we finished work and left Tauranga on the 19th Feb to start exploring the South Island of NZ (81 days).

    We started the morning with the blaring of sirens on our phone at 4.20am and a big earthquake that followed not 10 seconds later. Both of us were shocked into consciousness by the swaying of the building from the 8th floor where we were. Being from NZ, earthquakes are not too terrifying but being in a foreign country and not knowing whether the building’s integrity could withstand such a shake made it a little more scary! It shook for longer than I expected and aftershocks were more prolonged than I was used to.. but after peeking out the window and seeing the roof top crane still in its place I figured it was probably safe to head back to bed. Matt was sound asleep again by that point anyway!

    The few days we had in Tokyo were the perfect way to end our trip. We ate and shopped and explored. On this last day we went to visit the Sensō-Ji temple and to get a couple of souvenir caricatures drawn up @CaricatureJapanAsakusa.
    Read more