Satellite
  • Day 83

    Rottnest Island IV

    February 21, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Somehow I missed the road towards Salmon Bay.

    I figured that out around 20-25 minutes later. So I had to turn around a drive back all the way. I was already pretty tired then and was actually walking and pushing the bike up some bigger hills 😅😬

    The only positive thing was, that I saw a lot of Quokkas under some trees!
    The small once were very interested in us and came really close, two of them was even smelling on my hands and arms 😍🤗

    At 2.30 pm I finally arrived at Salmon Bay.
    Kara was feeling much better after a nap and some rest, so we had our lunch together and I showed her the pictures from the west end and the Quokkas I have met.

    After that, we went for a snorkel round.
    The water was colder than expected. 🙈😬
    It’s so hot outside but the water is still fresh, it was nice though when you finally get into the water.

    We saw a few different fishes but I went out quite soon again, as I started to feel cold and I don't want to risk anything. I have just been sick.
    Kara has a wetsuit so she took over my underwater camera and kept on snorkeling for a while, pictures will follow later.

    Around 3.50 am we left Salmon Bay to drive back to the settlement without stress and enough time for many Quokka Stops on the way.

    And we saw a few. The first two were very shy so we didn’t push it and left them to their own.
    The next one we saw was super interested in us and especially in our water bottles so we gave him some water to drink!

    That was also our last stop before we reached the village. We saw a few more Quokkas but didn’t stop anymore.
    Back in the village we returned the bikes and went to the bakery, unfortunately, it was already closed.
    I bought some ice cream, I think we deserve it today.
    We watched the Quokkas that were around in the village during our break. They are not super active but more active than the once we saw around the island. It’s actually not so normal that you can see them during the day, they are normally nocturnal animals but have changed that here on the island.
    The Quokkas we saw were mostly sleepy or even asleep. We didn’t motivate them to move around for a better picture or so as other people do.
    We took the pictures we could get while interfering with them as little as possible.

    Around 5 pm we went to the harbor and waited for our boat to arrive. We are super tired and especially I am having really much pain in my ass 🙈😂

    5.45 pm we left the island and at 6.20 we arrived in Fremantle.

    We walked to the Fremantle Markets, only a 10 min walk away and took a look around all the stuff you can buy there. We bought some vegetables and I got some fudges as well.
    We went to the next bus station and back to the campground.
    Today we made “Bratkartoffeln” for dinner 🤗
    Around 9.30 we went to bed totally exhausted from the day, but more than satisfied with it as well! 😊
    Read more