Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Sydney Opera House

    January 7 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    A fabulous day at the Gorgeous Sydney Opera House...a tour followed by drinks and sushi with the most amazing views

    The Sydney Opera House stands as an iconic architectural marvel, its history woven with intricate details and fascinating facts.

    First, the location:
    Bennelong Point, the site upon which the Sydney Opera House proudly stands, has a rich history that predates the iconic structure. Originally known as Tubowgule by the Gadigal people, it served as a significant gathering place for ceremonies and cultural events. An performing arts center of it's day!

    With the arrival of European settlers, the area underwent transformation, and in the early 19th century, it was named Bennelong Point after Woollarawarre Bennelong, an influential Eora man who played a key role in early interactions between the Indigenous population and European colonizers.

    Over the years, Bennelong Point witnessed various land uses, from a fort to tram sheds, before being chosen as the site for the Opera House.

    Understanding this historical context adds layers of significance to the architectural masterpiece that now graces the point, as it embodies both modern creativity and respect for the Indigenous heritage intertwined with the land.

    Then, the beginning of the construction:
    Born from an international design competition in 1956, the project was awarded to Danish architect Jørn Utzon, whose visionary design, reminiscent of shell-like structures or sails, won acclaim in 1957. Construction began in 1959 on Bennelong Point, a site holding cultural significance for the Gadigal people, the traditional custodians of the land.

    It was completely funded by proceeds from the local lottery!

    The construction journey, marked by complexities and budget overruns, took an unexpected turn in 1966 when Utzon was forced to resign from the project due to political changes. Local architect Peter Hall, along with others, took up the mantle to complete the construction. The Sydney Opera House was officially inaugurated on October 20, 1973, showcasing Utzon's vision and becoming an enduring symbol of Sydney and Australia.

    A tour of the Opera House reveals intriguing details about its design and construction. Utzon drew inspiration from the segmented structure of cut-up oranges. The exterior, adorned with nearly one million tiles, showcases the precision and engineering prowess behind the iconic sails. These tiles, imported from Sweden, are not only visually striking but also self-cleaning, contributing to the preservation of the Opera House's aesthetic allure. Impressively, only 44 tiles required replacement recently, attesting to their durability.

    Further insights into the building's materials highlight the global collaboration involved. The glass used inside the Opera House is imported from Italy and strategically installed at a 45° angle to the floor. This design minimizes reflections at night from the inside, preserving the visual connection between the Opera House and the picturesque harbor. The meticulous attention to detail extends to the concert hall, which accommodates 2,700 people and houses the largest pipe organ in the Southern Hemisphere. The organ, a testament to craftsmanship, took a decade to build and an additional two years to tune.

    Adding to its global significance, the Sydney Opera House received UNESCO World Heritage status on June 28, 2007, making it one of only two architectural sites listed while the architect, Jørn Utzon, was still alive. This recognition underscores the enduring impact of the Opera House, not only as an architectural masterpiece but also as a symbol of cultural diversity and collaboration.
    Read more