Satellite
  • Day 13

    Waiting for the Train

    June 16, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 88 °F

    Today at 6 pm, I leave Bangkok on an overnight train to Chiang Mai. I planned to leave yesterday, (Friday) but since I waited until Thursday to get a ticket, I could only get a sleeping berth (upper) ticket for the Saturday train...and the last ticket, too. Okay, I didn't plan very well, but hey, that's what this is all about, right? Right. 😎

    I checked out of the hotel earlier, had McPorridge at you-know-where, and did a very little bit of shopping (hat, rash cream). Now, I'm watching yesterday's World Cup matches while I wait for the train. Go Morocco 🇲🇦! Or Iran 🇮🇷! Whatever.

    I met up with the hashers again last night, but this time only for dinner (no Friday Hash). Fried squid, a Hawaiian pizza, and a yard of beer, the latter of which was for the whole table (10 of us). It was great to get out of the tourist district and eat some really good food made for Thais.

    Speaking of food, I'm at an Aussie restaurant about to get a "famous" burger and chips (french fries) before I get the underground to the train station. By the look of that guy's plate over there, I suspect it will be very good. I'll pop in the 7 Eleven for some train snacks on the way to the station. (Oh yes, they're on every other corner.)

    Out for now. ✌️

    P.S.: The picture of the electrical lines. I moved to the other side of the staircase when I saw this. It's like this everywhere, though. Incredible.
    Read more