Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Scrambling in Shibuya

    September 19, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    We were on our way to the next temple but first things first, sushi for lunch!

    The restaurant had a plastic, life-sized version of the chef welcoming us in the doorway, and we quickly worked out that it was seafood only. My little heart skipped for joy whilst poor Stella bravely tried to find something she could relate to, stumbling across her new favourite thing ever; tempura! A few new words were learned as we navigated ordering and paying. Another few trains later, and we were in Shibuya.

    The scramble (or multi-directional pedestrian) crossing in Shibuya is the largest and most famous in Tokyo, with up to 3000 crossing at any time. We found it twice; once by accident and once after getting lost looking for it because we didn't realise we'd already found it. It was impressive to see the flow of people like currents in the ocean, moving quickly and efficiently; all very on-brand for Japan.

    Adult tantrums due to ambiguous Google maps and sore feet were narrowly avoided. The sheer volume of people, heat and getting lost several times started getting to us. Google Translate and various unsuspecting locals came in clutch; we haven't met anyone less than friendly.

    Unfortunately, the Statue of Hachikō was under redevelopment at the time; I blame that on us getting lost as we were looking out for it as a landmark. It's definitely the dog's fault.... yup, definitely.

    As we wandered up towards our next temple, we came across Tower Records, a six-story record store. The top floor had vintage LPs and CDs of Western music with an entire section for Tori Amos! 😱 #Imdead!! A few essential items were purchased here, whilst across the road, screaming fangirls cheered for a small boy band playing in the window of a store.

    A few km up the road, Noah found a cool new deck in a skate store that did not look like a skate store, but the owner was very chill, and Noah was keen to support the little guy. As the deck stuck out of his backpack, Noah unwittingly whacked poor old father with it as we bunny-hopped from one Starbucks to the next, exploiting the familiar menu, aircon and free WIFI. Iced oat lattes are the new black, although it was then we realised the day was getting away from us.
    Read more