Satellite
Show on map
  • COVID-19 Entry Requirements for AK

    April 28, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 43 °F

    Since making the decision in late March to travel to Alaska, we’ve been monitoring the entry requirements for the state. We found good, up-to-date info on the ANC website. Basically …complete a form on the Alaska Travel Portal; take a PCR test within 72 hours of arrival; social distance; mask up. The usual stuff.

    “Ugh” on the testing. But we did our research and figured out where and how to fulfill the requirement. The good news … if the test results were delayed, we could still fly, but with a quarantine in Anchorage until we upload the results when we get them. That was a relief.

    A further relief came when Alaska began offering free testing on arrival. The caveat was to quarantine until we got our results. Not ideal … but we could do that as an alternative, too.

    Then the “must do” tone was softened to “should” and “strongly encouraged,” and quarantine requirements changed to social distancing. Alrighty then. I read about the softening rules on Points Guy first. Then, I found the“should” recommendations on the Delta website, and confirmed it on the ANC website.

    Even the requirement to complete a form on the Alaska travel portal was no longer “a thing.” Nonetheless, we created our accounts on the portal, completed the form, and uploaded our vaccination records. The result? A form showing us as being compliant. There was a QR code on the website, but the link went nowhere.

    I’m thinking the code might become active on 12 May since that is our arrival date in Anchorage. I made a note to login and check when we get to the airport. I also made a pdf copy of the travel forms and printed hard copies in case we need them.

    We will, of course, check the requirements again closer to our flight departure. After all, you never know with this pandemic.

    That said, Alaska is doing OK with its COVID numbers. They are currently #46 in the US … as compared to Colorado, which is #22. That could all change quickly as the tourism season in Alaska picks up. But I think we will be OK with our current plan to go without testing. 🤞🏻

    We will, of course, mask up around other people and will continue to social distance.
    Read more