Satellite
  • Day 54

    Kennecott: A Quick Looksee

    June 25, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    Our main reason for going to Kennecott today was logistics. Though, deep down, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the mill building that I’ve been wanting to see since I saw a photo of it back in 2001.

    At the time I made our reservations for the Mill Town Tour, we were planning on just two nights at the Base Camp. Then our plans got jiggled. Now that we had an extra night — thus, an extra day — we wanted to see about shifting the tour from the 27th to the 26th. To do that, we had to go to the St Elias Alpine Guides’ office.

    Long story short, the outfitter — which partners with the National Park Service to operate the tours — was able to get us in a group tomorrow afternoon.

    Since we had about 30 minutes before the last shuttle back to McCarthy at 7:00p, we went for a short wander around the old Mill Town and I got my wish. I took advantage of the blue skies and sunshine for a few quick snapshots of the 14-story mill building. After all, you never know what the weather will be like tomorrow.

    I’ll write about both the town and the copper mine operations in another post.
    Read more