Satellite
  • Day 69

    Plans Jiggled

    July 10, 2021 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 50 °F

    We have a ferry reservation out of Whittier on 13 July. So, the original plan was to arrive in the area on the 11th, spend a night in Portage and another in Whittier before getting on the ferry. But when we ended up driving from Valdez all the way to Portage on the 9th, those plans went by the wayside.

    Sure, we had plenty of ideas on how to spend the extra days in the area. The problem? They all required decent weather. So, as we were leaving the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center, we decided to head to Seward for three nights instead. After all, even if it continued to rain, there was at least one indoor activity we could do there. The downside was that we’d be driving the 80 miles back to take the ferry and then partway back to go to Homer after our ferry trip. The upside was that the new plan would free up our planned days in Seward and allow us to go somewhere new-to-us.

    So, we got back on the Portage Glacier Road and when we reached the Seward Highway, we turned south. It rained the entire way down to Seward. It rained when we stopped to switch our reservations. It rained as we set up in our temporary site at Resurrection South, one of the municipal campgrounds on the Seward Waterfront … temporary because there were no front-row sites available for tonight. No matter. We don’t have far to go when we move tomorrow.

    This place is little more than a parking lot, though the sites do have picnic tables and fire rings. There is one section of the campground that has W/E, but they’ve been reserved for quite some time, with no cancelations. So, we’re dry camping. To say that the sites are close-together would be an understatement. But we knew this when we decided this was where would be camping in Seward. It’s the waterfront location and its proximity to everything in town that drew us here. And that’s what we’re looking forward to for a few days starting tomorrow.
    Read more