Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 89

    Day 89 Ends @ Sleeping Lady Mtn Resort

    July 30, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 91 °F

    It sounds funny to write that our day ended @ Sleeping Lady Mountain Lodge, a resort at the end of Icicle Road. But that’s mostly because I know that we were home by 11:00a. It was just too darn hot to wander around.

    When we asked at the VC for suggestions around the area for early morning strolls, this was the place recommended. “They have nice grounds and sculptures,” we were told. Since it was just up the road from where we are staying, we decided to go there this morning.

    Turns out there are only four or five sculptures … one of which is in the center of a grouping of occupied cabins … we skipped that one. The meandering trail around the grounds was mostly shaded, which was a good thing as the temp quickly rose from the 63F we woke up to @ 7:00a.

    After checking out all the sculptures, we wandered into the organic garden to see the plants and colorful flowers. Then, we went to O’Grady’s Pantry & Mercantile for breakfast. Approaching from the front, we had no idea they had a lovely patio where we could have eaten our breakfast. When I checked later, all the tables in the shade were taken and the food was being served in to-go boxes (due to lack of kitchen help). So, in hindsight, it didn’t matter that we ordered our food to-go.

    It took nearly 45 minutes for our food to be ready … darn that is long. On our way to the car, we came across a couple of picnic tables around the side of the Mercantile … and they were in the shade. So instead of taking our order back to Lily House, we ate there. I ordered the biscuits and gravy … a modern take using Italian sausage and Mui got the Madame Cristo … a blend of Monte Cristo and Croque Madame. Delicious … definitely worth the wait.

    Before going back to our place, we took a short drive along Icicle Creek. The parking spots were all packed, so no place to stop and enjoy the scenery. The smoke-haze wasn’t pleasant in the canyon anyway, so we didn’t dally.

    We spent the rest of the day at Lily House. Watched a couple of shows … Mui napped … I read a bit and wrote a bit. Before we knew it, dinner time was upon us. A couple of frozen entrees did the trick for us tonight.
    Read more