Satellite
Show on map
  • Farish Canceled

    June 22, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 73 °F

    The Farish Recreation Area is a “mountain resort” operated by the US Air Force Academy. It’s up in the mountains near Woodland Park, Colorado … at about 9,500 feet. We camped there a couple of times in 2020. It’s a good place to escape the summer heat. So, we made reservations for a quick getaway in early July.

    Well, it wasn’t meant to be. We got a call today to tell us that the site we booked is no longer designated as a campsite. Why? The office manager at Farish didn’t know. All she could say was that the order came down today … details pending.

    She offered us a choice of two sites. One would have been a dusty turnout by the side of the road down to Lake Grace. The other would have been near a cabin … already booked, so we wouldn’t have the solitude we were seeking from this getaway.

    So we canceled for a full refund.

    I’ll look for a spot at one of the Colorado parks for one last summer getaway, but campsites are hard to come by during the summer months.

    The more likely outcome is that this cancelation just might have pulled the curtain down on our summer getaways with the Cruiser. If that turns out to be the case, then the next time the Cruiser will roll will be in September when we go on our fall road trip.
    Read more