Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    South Hedland to Willare Road House

    May 3, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    We always thought that New York is the city that never sleeps. Turns out that it is also South Hedland and every person out of the ~16 000 inhabitants owns a car that passes back and forth past the Blackrock Caravan Park…. What a night…. Thankfully we were quite tired so managed to get some sleep. Woke up at 4am and got up just before 6am. Before 7am we were already on the road, stopping at Ampol to refuel the car and ourselves with some coffee.
    The road was long and quite stunning at the beginning with vast grassy fields and red rock formations, the scenery changed after about two hours into shrubby endless land with stock randomly crossing the road , We saw on rather large reptile - some kind of leggy lizard. The temperature hovered around 35 degrees. We passed the Pardoo Road House that was closed due to the recent damage from the cyclone two weeks ago. All the road signs in the area were lying flat on the ground, all bend.
    At the Sandfire Road House station we reached a new high in diesel cost… $2,39/litre.
    The traffic was close to non existent today, so pretty cruisy day.
    We got quite excited when we finally reached the country side with heaps of boab trees. They are so lovely 😊, we also saw heaps of flooded fields and damage caused to the main road that is being fixed.
    As per our plan, we arrived to Willare Road House. We have caught up with the lost time in Mt Magnet which we are very happy about.
    Today’s toll: 709km, total 2701km 👏🏻🤘🏻👍🏻
    Read more