Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Willare to Turkey Creek (Warmun)

    May 4, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Another goal achieved, another 10 hour night of good sleep 😂. We were up at the crack of dawn feeling pretty refreshed. The place was ‘buzzing’ already with the truck drivers starting their trucks and First Nation People heading for breakfast to the cafe that opened at 6am already.
    I believe I totally forgot to put into yesterday’s diary entry, the most exciting news! Our first Chocconutz nut butter delivery to a Perth based store - Brighton Road Food Market in Scarborough - was completed by our friend Sally M. Fingers crossed this is a first one of many to come.
    Today, we were on the road well and truly before 7am, settling into our new morning routine well. Powered by coffee and smoothie from the local cafe. Interestingly, even the smallest road houses have good coffee machines installed and so far we did not have a bad brew! Quite impressive.
    The drive was quite spectacular today. It is difficult to describe the beauty of the ever changing scenery. It is visually stunning but somehow touches the soul at the same time. It was changing today from fields filled with Boab trees, huge ant nests, grassy lands, rocky hills, into never ending shrubs. All green with cows and today even horses. Kat saw a very black snake on the road and narrowly missed a big bird of pray who was feasting on the road and was too heavy to lift high quickly. I swear it’s legs just touched our windscreen as Kat was trying to safely stop.
    On the way we stopped at the Fitzgerald River and stocked up on some mosquito spray and citronella candles (so we can have romantic candle light dinners 😆 ).
    The river crossing was perfect, the water was still flowing, there was no wait to cross the crossing either, pretty smooth operation.
    We made another stop at Halls Creek, just a quick refuel ($2.34/litre) and headed to Turkey Creek. The road between Halls Creek and Turkey Creek is really breathtaking. The Purnululu National Park on the right side was covered in smoke as there is a prescribed burn, on the left side we were surrounded by King Leopold Range, Durack Range - simply stunning, unforgettable, beautiful.
    There was still some water when we were passing the creeks and even a little water over the road in one of the dips.
    We arrived to Turkey Creek just before 16.30, set our camper, dined on Aldi’s spinach and ricotta ravioli, and now sitting back and listening to dogs barking from the Aboriginal community settlement that is located just over the road. There is only one more camper in the park that is so far the cheapest powered site we paid for ($15/night). We don’t have to rush tomorrow as we are almost at our final destination so will head to the Warmun Community Art Centre first.
    We also had some unforeseen news today, our house/Alfi sitter has do do some emergency baby sitting in Sydney and is no longer available to do two weeks. Thankfully, our friends came to rescue and will take Alfi under their caring wings. Thank you so much S&B. Donkey’s and Alpaca’s will also be fed so all is good, crisis is averted and we can continue our holidays with no worries.
    Today’s toll: 693km, total: 3395km

    Also, forgot to mentioned that we saw some helicopter stock mustering… 🚁 🐮 🚁
    Read more