Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Lake Argyle Swim

    May 6, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 28 °C

    After rather weary night , the day started early at 4.45 with shower, quick coffee and light breakfast.
    We met with Moirsketers at 6.10 am and headed downhill to the water to meet with Lars, our skipper, also Kununurra Dentist, on his boat Blue Mantra. We loaded our kayak and other gear on his boat yesterday evening so all was ready to go.
    The M team seemed ready for action as we headed to the 20km start line. Gosh that was far!!!!! It took well over an hour to get there. We lathered ourselves in sunscreen and I ‘jumped’ into the kayak with the help of others to head to the start line. Eliza was the first one to go. The plan was to swap swimmers every 10minutes and paddlers every 45min to 1 hour.
    The first 10 minutes went very fast and the swimmers were dispersing which help me greatly as I could see Eliza quite clearly. After her 10min, Samuel jumped in, then Sally followed by Charlie. They rocked it all the way, and made all this looking easy but I can only imagine how much effort must this must have been.
    Rod was on the clock and Lars was giving us pretty good instruction where to head as at times it was impossible to see the buoys.
    Kat and I manage to stay dry during the kayak swaps which was a bonus. It did get quite hot as the sun was hitting us hard from the 5km mark.
    The atmosphere on the Blue Mantra was great, with music pumping and smiles all around.
    All swimmers jumped in for the finish line and swam the last few meters together while the boat stay behind and the paddler headed to the right side from the blue finish arch.
    The finish line was very timely as just a few minutes before M team made it a crocodile also swam through…. The M team did it! Time was around 5.36 but will be confirmed.
    What a fantastic effort. The experience was just amazing, the water was warm, atmosphere great and the scenery breathtaking. Don’t think Kat and I will be taking a Lake Argyle cruise hehehe.
    After crossing the finish line we headed up the hill to get the car keys and made our way back down to the loading ramp. The cue was endless. I think we spent at least 45 min waiting for our turn. The road down to water was also a little rough and required 4x4 engagement to make it out of there.
    We met the M team at theirs and headed for the photoshoot at the infinity pool, followed by the dinner where some of the M team members were fading away rapidly. Had a little boogie, made new friends with team 99 who also did the 20km and headed to our camper.
    What a fantastic day, we are very happy we could be part of this event and spend time with a friend who had this swim as part of her 60 birthday pre-celebration.
    Read more