Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 12

    El Questro, site #20 Willy Wagtail

    11. mai 2023, Australia ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    We got up early this morning as we decided last night to be on top of Kelly’s knob for the sunrise. The walk to the top and the view was very nice - a great way to start the day.
    We packed up our camper and headed back to Kununurra town to explore another aboriginal art gallery - Waringarri Aboriginal Art located under Kelly’s knob. They had some cool art, including some paintings with Wandjinas.
    That was a very nice stop, just what we needed before we made our way into Coles to replenish our food supplies to last us for El Questro as well as Bungle Bungles. It was so freaking cold in Coles so we were happy to get out back in the sun. Got ourselves a coffee and chips for lunch and as a desert we went back to the ice cream shop. Kat was very happy again… the portions were massive, even the kiddy scoop was enormous. To my disbelief, Kat has declared that even though she loves ice cream, the scoop she got was difficult to finish…. But she did….hehehehe….
    At 12pm the bottle shop opened, the drive through cue was impressive…. We walked in, got ourselves some beverages and headed towards El Questro. It took less than an hour to turn into Gibbs River Road and another maybe 40 minutes to arrive to our final destination. The road was very damaged and at times we had to drive through deep water - thankfully we had a car ahead of us who was our Guinea pig so we at least knew how deep the water was before we crossed. Unfortunately, on the way we could see that a number of the gorges are closed and the access roads washed out. On arrival to El Questro we, especially Kat, were welcomed by the wondering donkey. Kat gave her an ear scratch and the donkey even brayed to her! We were later informed not to touch her or go near to her as she is known to bite and run into people….. Kat - The donkey whisperer….
    We parked at our site which is very private and about 5 km from the main camp. We are close to the river, can hear it but cannot see it. We have a sign here about the crocodiles and not to swim in the river - that will not be a problem hehehe…
    After dinner we headed back to the main camp to book ourselves in for a river cruise on Sunday that should take us to Chamberlain Gorge that is otherwise unaccessible.
    Tomorrow we will head to Emma Gorge, - an all day trip.
    Les mer