Satellite
  • Day 47

    Windjana Gorge / Tunnel Creek / 290 km

    May 22, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 35 °C

    Today we visited two National parks in the Kimberleys on our way from Silent grove to Fitzroy crossing. After 130 km on rough gravel roads we walked through Windjana Gorge. We saw more than 30 freshwater crocodiles in the remaining water of the gorge 🐊. Some of which very close with no fence in between. Certainly we used the opportunity to make some croc selfies 😊. Australia had a record dryness „wet“-season this year in the north-west. The water levels in the gorges show very well that there was hardly any rain. Wonder what will happen to the crocs if the gorge may fully dry out during winter season.

    The second stop was at Tunnel Creek. We walked through a wide tunnel from one end of the gorge to the other only with our torch lights. All together about 600m in length with one light hole in the middle. At some places in the water up to our knees. Funny at the beginning of the tunnel we walked by some meters from two crocodiles.

    In the afternoon we left Tunnel Creek for another 1.5 hour drive to Fitzroy crossing. While driving into the camping ground more than fifty wallabies welcomed our car just off the road.

    Right before setting up the tent Fiona noticed some air coming out of a rear tire. Twenty minutes later the wheel was replaced and my hands greasy and full of dirt. Happy I could change the wheel at the camping ground instead of on Northern highway the next day.
    Read more