Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Egypt. The pyramids and pyramid schemes

    November 29, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Egypt. Ra, Egyptian God of the Sun ruled today. I woke early and captured a beautiful sunrise over Alexandria. We docked at approximately 0800. A 5km run. Breakfast, before joining a very long day tour to Cairo to explore the Great Pyramids of Giza and the Giza plateau.

    I wanted to write a gushing post about Egypt. One of the 7 wonders! The incredible feats of architecture defying the laws of physics and human strength. Built without machinery - at least not powered. Levers. Fulcrums. I'm taken back to the mechanics of human movement and concede how incredible it is these pyramids exist.

    But Egypt. Do you judge a destination on how it makes you feel? I'm of the opinion (worldly as I am now), that it is the sum of all parts. Is it fair to judge a destination on a visit in one day? Perhaps not, though some of what I observed are not an assumption of culture based on a single interaction with any one person today. It was the roads. The traffic. Chaotic drivers and lack of road rules. Soaring pyramids surrounded by stray dogs seeking a meal. It's the magnificent ancient pyramids with rubbish and cigarette butts in piles. It's the master hustlers. The only time I've been at risk overseas I feel was today. Picked off the pack. A narrow escape. The overwhelming feeling of disrespect.

    Our tour guide proudly proclaimed on our trip they don't have any homelessness as they look after their families in Egypt. They don't have insurance as they don't need it. She said it with pride, not meant as an insult, but I observed ghetto like living conditions and exploitation of children peddling wares, weaving amongst traffic and felt her comment reeked of arrogance.

    No homelessness? I interpret that statement to mean no mental health issues. Bullsh*t. No insurance? What of the poor families disproportionately impacted by accident or a congenital bad hand? Perhaps her sentiment is everything I see as wrong in this region of the world.

    Egypt left me feeling more homesick than I ever have on this journey, though I'll summarise my day.

    Giza Plateau:
    When I say pyramids, I feel specificity is important. Our Egyptian tour guide, aptly named Bella (she was beautiful) informed us there are 118 Pyramids in total in Egypt.

    Bella explained the Pyramids are houses for the next phase of life, and that Egyptian's have no belief in death, it's merely a transition from your short life on earth to an eternal afterlife.

    I'm not sure if she was referring to ancient Egyptians only. More research required. Note to self. Binge watch Indiana Jones and Night at the museum once more. I digress.

    Egypt really is something else. I've seen a total of 16 countries this year, and have not witnessed anything quite like Egypt. The traffic. The drivers. It's as though there are no road laws. Our coach had police traffic escorts x 2! The car in the attached picture passed us right by, Ute tray filled with passengers.

    It's a certainty the saying "Stay in your lane" does not exist here, as nobody did! You simply use your horn when someone weaves in front of you, and expect the same in return. I doubt anyone even pays attention to the beeping horn anymore.

    The hustlers were next level. The coach had barely moved into park and they swamped. Begging you to buy their wares. Take their photo. They are relentless. We are instructed to not make eye contact or respond. I wish I'd recalled those instructions when an "official" castigated me for being off path. A narrow escape.

    Our first option on arrival was to ride a camel a short way through the Sahara desert. I met my camel. Charlie Brown was his name, so my camel guide, Mohammed tells me. Why does every bloke in Egypt so far have the same name?

    I'm grateful for my strength as I (Mounted? it really sounds like I'm being inappropriate 🤷 🤣) Charlie and rode in a caravan (that's the term for an attached procession), with my new friend Kevin from Texas, and his camel, Michael Jackson.

    We then explored the pyramids. The great sphinx of Giza. Attended a lesson on papyrus paper.

    I'd not planned my day very well and not eaten adequately, especially given I'd run earlier. Our buffet lunch? 4pm. An 8 hour fast was not in my plans.

    A mammoth day and 8pm return to the ship.

    We are in Alexandria, Egypt another day though I'm choosing to stay on the ship. I'm dismayed at the disrespect given to these ancient wonders by the Egyptian people. The exploitation. The filth.

    I've never missed the smell of the Australian Bush more than I do right now. We live in paradise. I'll console myself with Vegemite, hugs from loved ones and my Ferdie when I get home.

    Egypt and the great pyramids. One of the 7 wonders. You'll wonder why you came.
    Read more