Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Kwatsi Bay to Echo Bay

    June 21, 2023 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We had an uneventful but beautiful trip over to Echo Bay by going slightly southwest in Tribune Channel and then through Hornet's Passage.

    We had not planned to stay the night here as we had been told that the docks were not ready and that there was no one to man the store. When we arrived, we discovered that although there was no power, one of these docks had been anchored so we could actually tie up there. Also, there was a large enough dock for A Great Escape. We decided to stay here for two nights because it was such a beautiful place. There was a collection of floating houses, a store, a post office, laundry facilities, and fuel.

    The reason for stopping here in the first place was to see Billy Proctor's museum, and as it turned out, we got to see 88 year old Billy Proctor himself! A short walk on an excellent trail takes you over to Billy's property. As Billy describes it, his museum is a "collection of junk" he has collected throughout his life of living in the area. He built a small building to house and display all his treasures, and it's fascinating. Beside the museum building is a mini school room displaying items from the old school that used to be in Echo Bay, and there is also a replica of a logger's cabin. A small gift shop stands beside the museum, and here we purchased several books about Billy's life on the west coast as a fisherman and a logger.

    After visiting Billy, we joined A Great Escape on their deck for appetizers and then headed back to our own boats for supper. Later, Jon and I availed ourselves of A Great Escape's generous offer to shower on their boat and had a peaceful night in the protection of Echo Bay.
    Read more