Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6 Santa Maria to Coca

    April 9 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 9 °C

    Day 6 Santa Maria La Real De Nieva to Coca 24kms

    I couldn’t have picked a better place than last night’s Hostal Avanto. It continued raining all night. The restaurant was very busy with locals. The food was excellent.
    Cheng and I set off at 7am this morning in total darkness. It was -1C and with the wind factor, it was probably -5C.
    We waited outside a bar to open at 8am. One of the daughters working there clearly didn’t want to be there. She was grumpy as sin.
    We set off properly at 8.15am into the cast open countryside. Within a few kilometres, we were into a vast pine forest which went on for hours.
    Around 11am, we got to Nava de la Asuncion where we had second breakfast. This time, it was coffee with tortilla. Thankfully, the weather remained dry and cool 13C.
    The trail continued much as before. At 1pm, we arrived in Coca and found the Albergue. There were two pilgrims just leaving. They were only walking seven kilometres to the next village.
    Cheng and I quickly dropped our rucksacks and went out for lunch and a short tour of Coca.
    It is dominated by a Castle, medieval walls and a tower.
    It was back to the Albergue to do admin and plan tomorrow. The Albergue is a former head teacher’s house and costs 5 euros to stay.
    Read more