Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Acrockolypse day!

    May 2, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    After an interesting nights sleep - it doesn’t pay to go to bed early in our hotel with church bells chiming and marble floors and people returning from the rooftop-bar into the tiny lift near our door and saying good night in Spanish, Greek, French, broken English and American! However I manage to fall asleep at some stage. The bed is comfortable, the pillows are great and I am not whinging.
    Breakfast at our acropolis view restaurant and the Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts is superb! So much for dairy free!
    To a cab and we meet George the taxi driver who used to be a chief engineer on an American cruise line who regaled us with stories of meeting Fidel Castro on board with the captain - he has a photo. It was worth the 10 Euro with tip to meet him. We reach the gate for the acropolis and it is truly awe inspiring and again with the tears. It’s a warm sunny blue sky sparkly day and we are not too crowded - lots of people yes but we get to enjoy the experience- we have come early and I think it’s paid off. So fabulous!
    We walk to the museum and their are lots of school groups but again no lines and we are able to see all the antiquities! We relax at the museum cafe with spinach pie and coffee ready for the bus to Temple of Zeus.
    A big touring day follows with a visit to Panathenaic Stadium then lunch at Monastiraki Square which again is seriously delicious feta in phyllo pastry with honey and nuts followed by gyros ( no meat) and octopus and of course Greek wine. The Roman Agora beckons and we have used all our site visits on our ticket and the blue bus has been great for getting around.
    We stroll back to the hotel dodging the bracelet sellers near the metro ready for quiet time and recovery from a big day out!
    Read more