Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 9

    Santander

    31. Mai 2023 in Spanien ⋅ ☀️ 70 °F

    The weather here is fantastic, with cool nights at around 57°F and pleasant daytime temperatures reaching 72°F. Don't worry about humidity, even though we're always close to the sea.

    After a quick and scenic 7-kilometer bus ride, we arrived at the heart of Santander and found the tourist information center right in the central plaza.

    As luck would have it, just as I was stepping off the bus, a message came through from Banco Santander's manager, notifying us that the money from Wells Fargo Bank had been successfully deposited into our account. What a relief! Without wasting any time, we promptly withdrew some cash. It's quite reassuring to have funds on hand.

    While Ursula and I took care of banking matters, our friends Kurt & Renata took the opportunity to explore the local market, soaking in the vibrant atmosphere.

    Santander stole our hearts. The city gives off an air of elegance that might even surpass San Sebastián or Bilbao. The place is incredibly neat and tidy, with well-kept streets, sidewalks, and buildings. Our itinerary covered a range of attractions, including the tourist office, the cathedral, the main post office, the art museum, the maritime museum, and the charming old town.

    Do note that most shops take a break around 2:00 PM for the famous "Siesta" and reopen from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM.

    We utilized this window of time to explore the remarkable Palacio de la Magdalena estate, unwind at our hostel, and prepare for dinner. Of course, Kurt couldn't resist a refreshing swim at the beach.

    For dinner, we had an unforgettable meal at Restaurante Bodegas Marzōn. Our feast included codfish, jumbo prawns, octopus, tuna salad, and succulent veal cheeks. As I'm writing this, the clock has just struck 11:01 PM.

    We plan to bid farewell to this enchanting place tomorrow morning as we set off along the picturesque north coast in a westerly direction. Our next stop is the lovely city of Llanes, where a cozy hostel is booked for the next two nights. Exciting adventures await!
    Weiterlesen