Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Naxos Day 2

    May 14, 2023 in Greece ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Barcelona and Santorini already feel so long ago. We woke up and ate some cereal in our accommodation and then went out to try some Greek coffee — it wasn’t too bad but didn’t really taste like normal coffee. Apparently it’s lower in caffeine but higher in antioxidants. At the cafe there were all the old Greek men sitting around smoking and drinking coffee, it felt a little odd and surreal.

    We then wandered the streets and walked up and around the castle which looks like most of the other streets. We found an archeology museum and looked at the old Naxian artefacts. Then made our way up the hill to Apollo’s Doorway, the only part that was completed of a planned ancient temple — it’s so beautiful and the location provides an amazing view of Naxos. We then headed to Elizabeth’s Garden for some traditional Greek food and had falafel pittas/platter with wine. The white wine here is absolutely delicious.

    After lunch we planned to head home to recover from our food coma, only to have house keeping come. So we headed to the beach near the town Agios Georgios and enjoyed the sun. Before getting too burnt we headed back to home base to grab our bathers and head to Naxos’s famous beach, Plaka - it is a very very long beach. It was nearly 5:30pm and the water was freezing so we only put our feet in the water. We caught the bus back and went and had sushi for dinner and then walked to watch the sunset at Apollo’s Doorway. The sun was so big and orange, the photos definitely didn’t do it justice. We then explored the old market and weaved our way back home to plan for Athens :)
    Read more