Satellite
  • Day 14

    Day 14: Kraków

    July 22, 2019 in Poland ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    After sleeping in, we head to the city center to enjoy our full day (well more evening in this case!) In Kraków. We let ourselves get tempted by a typical polish bagel, which are sold by old ladies in carts on every street corner (I personally think Montreal bagels are better, but the ones here are surely cheaper!).

    We walk around the green belt that surrounds the old city, visit the central market and the Wawel Royal Castle. We manage the eavesdrop on a free tour, and the guide points out to some giant bones hanging near the main door of the Castle's cathedral. To keep her group interested, the guide tells them that she will explain their origin further on the tour. Of course, a quick Google Search gets us the answer we want: the bones belong to Smok, Wawel mountain's legendary dragon, who was taken down in a ferocious fight. Some more lucid scientist will tell you they are actually mammoth bones.. our rational minds prefer this version.

    We continue our walk through the city, and Mikel brings us to a delicious local restaurant with a beautiful inner garden. We then head to the old Jewish quarters, make a cat friend and admire the old trams. We end the day with a 5 zł (1€) beer, potato and fresh cheese (we had to replace our usual ice cream with something!).

    It is now time to find our place to sleep for the night. We know there is some sort of park about an hour from the city center, and start walking along the Vistula river. Around 11 PM, we finally find the perfect spot. At the end of this abandoned road is a small trail that leads into the forest. We find a clearing not too far from the trail covered with little white flowers, Poland is truly beautiful.
    Read more