Satellite
  • Day 15

    In Which we Take Lima by Storm

    May 12, 2018 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    It never ceases to amaze me what a difference a few hours can make and today was a perfect example of this. Last night we staggered into our hotel at 2 am in the morning, all feeling like we were surely close to death's proverbial door. After getting a few unsettled hours of sleep and enjoying a quite good breakfast, all our team members were soon looking more like their old selves.

    A group of us then set out to explore the area between our hotel and the seafront. I had been in this region back in 2010 but I was surprised to find just how much the place had changed in that time. Although Lima is situated right on the Pacific Ocean, the city is separated from the ocean by an almost vertical 150 m high cliff face. At the top of this cliff you get the most incredible views down the waterfront and the huge expanse of ocean lying just beyond.

    Developers have now made maximum use of this prime position by building a very impressive array of modern shops and cafes, all sharing the same breathtaking view. Yesterday we had hardly eaten all day, so we decided it was time to have some lunch. For a cost of around $15AUD I enjoyed a large plate of chicken and Ceasar salad. It certainly was welcome. The milkshake went down well too.

    In the afternoon I had organised for a private tour of some of the highlights of the city and its museums. I usually have an aversion to taking any sort of organised tour, but in this case I made an exception. For one reason we had the guide and the bus to ourselves and for another reason, we only have a single day to get the most out of experience here.

    Over the next 6 hours we were treated to a most enjoyable array of visual and intellectual delights. I learnt that the population of Lima has now risen to 11 million, making it the third most populous city in South America. It was also staggering to view the beautiful works of art and sculpture made by the various groups that have occupied this spot over the past 5000 years. This region truly is one of the cradles of civilisation.

    After getting back to our hotel at 8 pm we walked to the centre of Miraflores and found a nice place for dinner. Some wandering pan pipe players decided to serenade us while we ate and, during the walk back to the hotel, we stopped to watch a large group of all ages, all enjoying some tango dancing in the park. South America is certainly like that.

    Tomorrow we head to Cusco and the thin air of the Andes.
    Read more