Satellite
  • Day 81

    It's All Happening Here

    May 21, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 11 °C

    Although most days in isolation can tend to blur together into some sort of grey continuum, every once in a while one day will stand out from the crowd. Today was one of those days.

    Back in Pre Covid days, one of our favourite ways to spend an afternoon in Inverloch was to go to the nearby Country Club. There we could sit by the fire and enjoy a lovely Devonshire Tea and coffee. We could even take advantage of the free wifi and make one coffee last the entire afternoon. In these lonely days of isolation, such restaurants are all closed. Even the memories are quickly fading into oblivion.

    For that reason Maggie and I decided to make our own "virtual Country Club", complete with cappucino and scones. Although we tried unsuccessfully to buy scones at the local bakery, we decided that the easiest option was to make our own. So in went the flour (slightly past its use by date), the cream and some lemonade. Mix the whole lot together and throw it in the oven.

    Twenty minutes later we were sitting in our courtyard in the sunshine, happily enjoying the scones, (complete with jam and cream) and a cappucino (straight from the Nespresso machine). It was not quite the same as watching the ocean from the Country Club, but it was still pretty damn nice.

    After our Devonshire Tea we packed the dog and drove down to the oceanfront for a long walk. Although the weather was a little threatening, it was still pretty good for walking. The dog was happy too as she found plenty of other canines to bark and growl at along the way.

    But the day's highlights were far from over. About two months ago I ordered some special locks from Canada. They were supposed to arrive in "6 to 9 days", but I had almost given up hope of them getting to me before I returned to Melbourne. You can imagine my delight when I discovered a small, but very heavy, package in the letterbox. The locks and other lock making gear had finally arrived. I was a happy man indeed.

    To cap off a fine day I enjoyed a lovely roast meal of slow cooked pork, potatoes, carrots and onions. It was a perfect end to an eventful day.
    Read more