Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Day 1: Bangkok

    May 12 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 37 °C

    Today was our first full day in Thailand! We arrived late last night Bangkok time and went straight to bed when we got to the hotel. We had a decent sleep but were definitely jetlagged as we woke up at 5:00am local time and had troubles falling back asleep. We decided to make the most of our one day in Bangkok and get an early start.

    We started out the day with a dip in the rooftop pool! It was an amazing refreshing way to start the day and the first of many swims on this trip. After that we went for breakfast in the restaurant at our hotel and then after lathering some sunscreen started exploring.

    Our original plan to go to the grand palace in the morning was thwarted when a local stopped us from crossing a busy intersection and promptly planned our whole day for us. One minute we were exchanging pleasantries and the next he whisked us away on a tuk tuk (local transportation, basically a motorcycle with a back part attached with a covered seat). It was so lucky we met him because he spoke to the driver and got us an awesome deal and told him where we wanted to go.

    We visited a few temples before going on a river boat ride in a Longtail boat. Halfway along the journey we got to a floating market where Noah and I had a delicious lunch made on the riverside. From there we took the boat to the grand palace. It was really neat to see parts of Bangkok from the water!

    The grand palace was absolutely fantastic - an amazing showing of Thai architecture and an absolute feast for the eyes. We did a free guided tour and it was neat to hear the history of the complex. We got really lucky because it was overcast all day and wasn't until we left the grand palace that it started to thunderstorm and downpour. From there we took a tuk tuk back to the hotel where we had a power nap while the storm blew over.

    Rested and recharged from our nap we woke overselves up with another dip in the pool before going out for dinner. We had some delicious streetfood and Thai beer. After dinner Noah and I went in search of a bar that might be playing the semi final of the championship featuring west brom. We were lucky as the first place we went to was not only playing the game but was playing it on a jumbotron and had buy 2 get one free cocktails. Though the Albion tied it was still fun to watch the game and we even met another WBA fan in the bar from England, who would've thought!?

    After a very full and busy day in Bangkok we are looking forward to a good night sleep and for what tomorrow's adventures have in store.
    Read more