Satellite
  • Day 6

    Acropolis Museum

    June 24, 2016 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Visited this magnificent Museum today prior to visiting the Acropolis itself. An excellent idea as we then knew what we were looking up top without having to figure it out along the way. Our Tour Guide gave us much info...

    The museum starts below ground, seen through glass courtyard and walkways. Ancients ruins apparently lie beneath much of this area...

    Ground floor houses items found around the base of the Acropolis, mainly items used and owned by the folk who lived in the area surrounding this huge sacred site. Photos prohibited.

    Second floor houses more archeological items, statues, panels, marble structures. Photos allowed in part.

    Top floor laid in the shape and size of the Parthenon, with panels and sculptures laid out in the positions they occupied around the roof of the Parthenon. Ingenious, and very engaging.

    A bit sad to see the number of replicas on display (identifiable due to being white, rather than yellowed as the genuine items are...) as a result of the plundering by the Brits and others a couple hundred years back. Many items are housed in the London Museum and there's quite a push by Greece for their return.
    Read more