Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    En route to, and, Pucon

    November 11, 2023 in Chile

    We set off at 9:30 am in the 800km, 2 day journey south to Pucon. It's raining all day in Santiago today, so it's a good time to be leaving. There are 21 on the bus today, excluding Claire (our leader) and Kevin (our driver), and the layout is very different from those I have been on before, as the seats face inward with the bags stored underneath them in deep lockers.

    There are many vineyards as we head south through the heavy rain, eventually stopping at a large campsite near Chillan at about 6 pm; we are the only people here. We put up our tents; these are sturdier and roomier than expected as they were recently acquired from the now defunct tour company Toucan). The cook group for tonight serves up a lovely rice dish with vegetables. There is a disco / nightclub next to the campsite; it's Friday night, and they close at 5 am.....

    The next morning, we continued on to Pucon - through the rain initially, but the weather improved as we got closer to Pucon, arriving at 1:30 pm. It has a very European feel to it, with the scenery, buildings, and trekking shops.

    We have a quick explore of the town, seeing the lake with its black volcanic sand, and enjoy beers and food, as you do!
    Read more