Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 196

    Playa del Carmen

    June 30, 2022 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    After a short stop in LA, just time to discover Redondo beach and having some thrills at Knott's berry farm theme park, we got on the plane to a new country on our list! We decided to start by a relaxing few days to suck up some sun and get on with our books! We booked a cute hotel in a hotel in Playa Del Carmen, only to realise that it was next door to a Beach Club, a club playing loud techno music from 8am to 3am, not so good for relaxing. After of change of hotel, here we are a few km down the beach at a place where we can do nothing all day in peace, perfect!

    The culture shock is not so big here compared to California as a lot of Californian's come here on holiday and vice versa, however we are back in a country where we can easily be identified as tourists, something we didn't get in Australia and the USA. After "mai pan rang kah" in Thailand we switched to "No gracias" here, this is going to be a constant for the next few months!

    There is some decent diving to be had in Mexico, in face the whole Carribbean coast line is rich with sea life so we took the opportunity to hone our skills, a fun day to mix up the beach and pool life. We had a photographer take some underwater pics but we won't get them for a few days or weeks so we'll stick them up as soon as we can.

    Otherwise not a lot of pictures of these few days as we spent pretty much the whole time reading or in the swimming pool. We swam in the sea a bit more rarely because there are a lot of seaweed this year, there are trying to contain them, but not that easy!
    In the middle of this relaxing time we found an evening to celebrate Armelle's 30th birthday with a nice restaurant and a surprised gift (check out the shiny new ear rings) , as Pierre Lemaitre says: "Les choses les plus attendues arrivent souvent par surprise"
    Read more