Satelita
Pokaż na mapie
  • Dzień 80–83

    Rock Sound, Eleuthera

    15 maja, Bahamy ⋅ ☀️ 84 °F

    We returned to RockSound, for the first time since our COVID lockdown here. We have such great memories of hanging out with SOBAD and Sweet Tea, and 30 other boats here. This time, there were only 4-6 boats, mostly on there way N after the usual cruising season has ended.

    What is different is the new Disney resort being constructed near the S point of Eleuthera. Rock Sound is the nearest freight dock, so instead of the usual weekly mailboat, there are daily boats and as we left, three in one day!

    Disney is constructiong a 1/2 mile long dock to accommodate cruise ships, and lodgings for 26 managers, 110 workers, and who knows how many guests. It is changing the economy, at least in the short term. I found men buying construction materials at The Lumber Shed, and ran into a couple having dinner at Frigates (Luke & Katz) from New York who work for a company sub-contracted by Disney to create “experience”. Longer-term, I certainly hope that Disney will recruit and train local employees.

    We only stayed long enough to re-taste Rock Sound, We got groceries at The Market (on par with George Town’s market), gas at Dingle’s, parts at The Lumber Shed, lunch at Louis Delight, and dinner at Frigates. Unusually, we did not make any new cruising friends!
    Czytaj więcej