Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Aguas Calientes!

    September 28, 2016 in Peru

    We arrived about an hour ago into Aguas Calientes by a train, which, once again, showed up our own transport system. It was a huge train, very spacious and served a drink and cookie as part of the service. In all fairness though, they don't have many trains here so I guess all the effort is on these ones for tourists. We also crept slowly past the more expensive and very nice train that runs to Puno. We got to gaze in as they drank their wine in the comfort of what looked like a restaurant on a train. Very nice indeed...maybe one day!

    On leaving, the train station in Ollantaytambo was hilarious. We were bustled on to the platform and stood waiting whilst everyone got off what we assumed was our train. Nope! This train in front pulled away and ours was sitting behind it. Never have I had to walk on the tracks to get to the train carriage before. Very strange! The journey itself was OK, very rickety and swayed a lot. We just spent most of the journey giggling about stupid things as I think our tiredness has reached a level equivalent to being drunk.

    On arrival, we headed away, past the locals shouting out for their customers and through a covered up market to the other side of the river that runs through the town. Even though it is dark, the lights allow you to just about make out the lush green mountains towering around us. So excited now for tomorrow!

    This is clearly a very rich part of Peru due to the high volume of tourists. Restaurants are everywhere and for some reason the speciality of pizza seems popular. You also notice the higher price for everything like food, transport and accommodation.

    After booking the bus for the morning (5:30am earliest) we found our hostel not far away. Our plan then for tomorrow is to get an early start so that we can be in the queue for the early bus at 4:30. We have been provided a packed breakfast by the hostel though, so at least we won't go hungry!

    Bed time now for this much needed sleep. We currently have a man playing the Titanic theme on the pipes outside, hopefully it continues to sound relaxing!
    Read more