Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 44

    Cape Malay Cooking Class

    19. juni 2023, Sør-Afrika ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    After all the walking we did yesterday, we decided to get an Uber to take us to Bo Kaap for our cooking class this morning. Our guide on the walk yesterday had pointed out the cooking school to us, so we thought we knew exactly where we were going. It turned out that there’s more than one place to learn about Cape Malay cooking in Bo Kaap and we were at the wrong one! No drama. Once we realised, we went around the corner to the correct house and met Faldela, our host and teacher.

    Faldela had done a lot of the prep for us, so we didn’t have a lot to do. However, we still enjoyed the lesson and picked up some great tips, especially about the spice blend to use in a Malay curry, how to fold a samosa, and how to make the best roti. Once we’d cooked, we got to eat the results for lunch. We had chicken, corn, and spinach samosas, and chilli bites to start. Both were served with a tomato salsa which had apricot jam added to the recipe – delicious! We had guava juice to drink. The main course was chicken and potato curry with roti. To finish, we had koeksisters (same as yesterday) with rooibos tea. Everything tasted really good! Faldela gave us all the recipes to take home, so we’ve got no excuse not to recreate the dishes at home 😊😋.
    Les mer