Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Transit

    October 26, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Got up at 7, left by 7:30.
    It’s extra good that the clocks go back an hour so we have extra hour wiggle room for fuck ups.
    Will drive the whole way - bless him.
    And I continued reading.
    Full into it hey. Haven’t had a book obsession like this is months.

    We got near the airport but had to return the car with a full tank so we went searching for a petrol station - Will ended up in the wrong lane so we took a wrong turn… and ran a red light. Too busy watching traffic trying to merge. Ah well haha.
    Found a place. $1 more a gallon than literally every place on the way. Booooo
    Wanted to pay in cash but you have to pre pay and giving the exact amount in cash was too confusing so card won lol. $70USD lameeeeee.

    We dropped the car off. Hoping there isn’t a cleaning fee cause it’s a bit dusty and “snow marked”

    Good news is I can get over the cleaning fee if there is one because got an email receipt saying “no new damage” so that’s a plus.

    2/3 things sorted. Just need our claim to be accepted and I can breath again lol.

    Have been trying to organize the delirium beer tour in Belgium for Will - they have 2 tours available - neither convenient because we are in the wrong city but doable. (Was meant to do when staying in Ghent not Brussels but still only an hour train so 🤷🏼‍♀️)
    It’s literally his only request for the whole trip so I will try get us in if I can.

    Dropped car and had to get a bus to terminal 3.
    Then did our bag drop.
    Seamless process. Good job JetBlue. Even asked if I wanted to print boarding passes instead of just using electronic. Yes please.

    Went to TSA.
    Was in the wrong line and wanted to clarify cause it didn’t seem right. It said pre check?
    Didn’t know if that mean it was a pre check before TSA or for people who had been pre checked.
    I asked security dude and he was like have you done your pre check and I said I don’t know what that is and he was all “did you get interviewed by the government”
    Interviewed by the government is a bit excessive to have the only benefit be a slightly shorter line and you don’t have to remove your shoes but ok bud. No we haven’t been pre checked.
    Went to other line lol.
    Checked our passport then we did the tedious bag check. Takes so much more time when everyone has to remove all their clothing.
    One dude kept his belt on and when being scanned was told to remove and he said “it’s plastic”
    Didn’t matter. They got cranky lol.

    Went to Burger King and it was a huuuuuge line but we hungry.

    I think we timed it all perfectly. When we finished eating we had 40 mins til boarding. Wiggle room but not excessive wait time.

    Had to get a tram to our gate. Went loo, Will hot spotted my kindle so I could buy the next book in the series cause I anticipated finishing on the plane then it was pretty much time to board.

    We aren’t siting together. We COULD pick our seats at check in. (My only complain with this airline is that option not on the website earlier) but we were late checking in yesterday so all the seats gone AND only middle row seats available 🙃
    I got the one in front of him so at least we know the person in front of him won’t recline on his legs.

    Sitting on the plane and very impressed.
    1 - entertainment screens with great selection of movies.
    2 - free Wi-Fi
    3 - decent room
    4 - got an email telling me our bags have been loaded onto our plane (included plane/flight number)
    5 - free drink x 2 and a snack

    All in all a great flight.
    Only 4h 15m rather that 4h 50m so I’m pleased.

    15 mins from landing at the moment and I’m in a good mood.
    We are going to decide when we get off depending on how he feels if we get a taxi or try figure out the trains to the hotel.

    20% through the second book already haha.

    Stay tuned.

    We opted for a taxi only cause it’s New York at night and might come across as easy targets lol.
    Had a Dunkin’ donut to hold us out until dinner. Donut stale but excellent icing.
    Our taxi dude was an absolute chattabox. Very into languages. He knew a couple languages fluently and then words and phrases of many - didn’t have the heart to tell him his pronunciation was wrong on a lot of words such as thanks as welcome in Hebrew and friend in Chinese.
    Checked in. They at least gave clear guidance of what was going to happen money wise.
    It’s $500 deposit which will be returned to us at checkout. At checkout we will pay the resort fee. I prefer this way so some of the money stays in my bank.
    Our room is an odd shape and our aircon is malfunctioning making such a loud noise that I laughed when we entered the room and said how very New York that they are doing jackhammer construction by or window at 9pm at night.
    Only they weren’t. It’s the air con 😬😬

    I couldn’t find the remote and it was setting me on edge I nearly went to reception and ask them to either come fix it/turn off or switch us rooms.
    It’s like a fire alarm noise. Intolerable and anxiety inducing. Great for a fire always not great for aircon.
    Found the wall switch. Room is cool enough so it shall just remain off.

    We went walking to try find the halal guys food truck.
    We are so content.
    $8 for my meal $10 for Wills large. $1 drink each.

    $20 and we are both fed, watered and full.
    10 POINTS TO NEW YORK.

    We then walked to time square. Lots of billboards. Very cluttered. Felt a little unsafe tbh. Lots of shady characters out and about.
    Still, New York smashing its American competitors.

    Back at the hotel now and our claim has been approved 😭😭😭😭
    I destressed for about 3 minutes. Now stressed I gave the wrong account details.
    I hate myself 😭😂
    Read more