Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 49

    Liechtenstein

    December 1, 2022 in Liechtenstein ⋅ ☁️ 2 °C

    Slept like rocks. I was worried Will was going to wake up cranky and sick cause he was snoring unbelievably loud cause his nose is blocked but he said he slept amazingly. Yay.

    We gained 3 hours so our 8am leaving of the house in actually an 11am leaving. Feeling good.
    My bites are so bad 😩 I’ve put bandaids on my back of the leg ones.
    My knuckle ones suck because for whatever reason my jacket has a stupid design for the pockets and the spikey part of the zip rubs my hand every time I put them in.
    Walked to the station and it’s the biggest station ever holy crap. Impossible to find anything.
    So confusing we went to find an info place. Impossible to find but did eventually find a board and we think we found our train. These particular boards aren’t overly helpful because they don’t say the exact train number just location which is fine unless you have to be on a specific train number as we do because we bought the cheap tickets haha. 😆 but it’s the right time and place so probably is our train.
    Went and got Will a croissant, only item thus far that is reasonably priced at 1.9 francs. Would have got a drink but not in the mood or desperate enough to pay $8.

    Got some cash out because we think we have to buy tickets on the bus once we change trains.
    There money is cool! The 20’s are fire engine red. There 10 is bright yellow.
    Got a big coin back when buying the croissant which is 5 franc. That’s a $7.80 coin 😅
    Can’t exchange so must use haha.

    On the train now. It’s a very gloomy day but not raining.
    Just had our tickets checked with no issue. Always a relief we are headed in correct direction.
    She asked for our passports - first person to do so.
    Lucky because I only have because we are wanting a stamp in Liechtenstein. 😂
    Once we got off finding the bus was amazingly simple.
    It’s fluro yellow and happened to be the one already waiting at the station.
    Got on and asked the driver do we pay here or somewhere else? Paid him and sat. He then drove us to Liechtenstein. #country52
    Liechtenstein was very quite. We first went to the tourist information center and got our passports stamped for 3 francs each haha. ✔️
    We got Will a coffee then went climbing a big hill to get to a viewpoint and to the castle.
    The castle is closed because it’s a private residence.
    The Prince here has such power. Nothing passed through parliament without his final approval. Or that how it reads on the info boards as we walked up the hill. The castle was cool. Love the old school toilet hole on the side of the building and the dragon heads for drainage.
    Will in a good mood so got some photos yewwww haha.

    I also liked the view point. Disappointing it’s so cloudy so the mountains in the background were covered. Still really lovely. I’m happy the fields are still green and not white.

    Walked back down and went to lunch. Really good quality. Got some tomato soup. Have been dying for soup. Still cost a fortune but have definitely seen worse prices.
    Will tried a Liechtenstein beer.
    We then bought my magnet and went walking to the Post Museum (Liechtenstein’s a hoot and a half 🤪🤪)
    Post museum is free entry and so we did a quick wizz around. Had to go there anyway to buy tickets to the Princes treasury. Bought a double ticket to get access to national museum too because why not.
    Just a lot of stamps at the post museum. Wild to think some people would be absolutely beside themselves with excitement here.

    The Princes treasury was embarrassing to say the least.
    You have to go in one at a time with a token. I went first - one door opened and I walked into a tiny black room and the door shut on me and I had a rather large panic and was very loud about it yelling omg what do I do, I’m trapped, why did you make me go first etc etc and then another door magically opened and their was another person on the other side… mortifying 🤣🤣
    Hello 🫠
    Will got confused and startled by the lady too which made me feel less stupid.
    Couldn’t take photos inside but basically had a crown, A LOT of decorative eggs and some weapons - the coolest bit was a bit of moon stone from an Apollo mission.
    Leaving was just as stupid. One door into a dark cupboard followed by another magical opening.one door won’t open until the other one is shut so you can’t have a sticky beak inside.

    Walked next door to national museum. Whole country has English next to the German except their national museum where foreigners are likely to visit.. ?
    So not sure what we looked at but a lot of taxidermy stuff, old flowers, it had a FIFA World Cup section (not really sure why because it featured everyone BUT Liechtenstein lol)
    Then some Napoleon stuff we think, paintings of all past kings, a religious relics section, and other old stuff. More stamps and eggs here too haha.
    Finished up and walked to the cathedral. Door was closed but let ourselves in. ✌🏼
    Stain glass was very geometric. Bit funky.

    Royal crypt next door which was more a single coffin thing on a boring white veranda building.
    They did have a metal mural of Jesus commanding Lazarus to come out. So I presume that’s the tomb/crypt.

    Then walked back to our bus. Got a different one but it took us to the right place.
    Our train was only 5 minutes away. All very convenient.
    Currently on the train back to Zurich.
    It’s not the train I booked but did originally pay more so we didn’t have to get the specific train/time because we don’t know when we would finished.
    Lady has just scanned tickets - everyone came up as green on her device and ours came up as orange but we weren’t kicked off so yay.

    Walked through Zurich old town and got some nice views of the city. (Added to yesterdays entry)

    Went home. Felt sick again - shouldn’t google symptoms. Never ends well. 10 terminal diseases per search.

    Went for Chinese for dinner.
    Worst country for a service tip to be added to the bill. 😩
    BUT I still like that it’s added for you and is 7% not 20%
    Home now and packed.
    Keen for a rest day in Bern.
    Read more