Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Venice sure has a lot of old churches

    October 6, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    European history is inseparable from religion, and Venice has this connection on full display. There are 137 churches in Venice - they are everywhere. All but 3 or 4 are Roman Catholic (there’s one synagogue and 2 or 3 Protestant churches). Many of the church buildings no longer function as churches but are museums or other public spaces. The first 4 photos show the crazily ornate structure of St. Mark’s Basilica. The original building was constructed in the 830s, while the current one began in the year 1063, but had been modified numerous times over the centuries.
    Photos 9 - 12 are of Santa Maria della Salute, built in response to a devastating plague that killed one third of Venice’s population in 1630 and ‘31. The church was not to be dedicated to a mere "plague" or patron saint, but to the Virgin Mary, who for many reasons was thought to be a protector of the Republic. Decreed to be built in 1630, it was not completed until 1681. The wooden door must be at least 30 feet tall. I found it curious that the skin color of Mary and Jesus is quite dark in the painting - looking very different than depictions found in the US. I wonder how many US Christians would feel about that.
    Read more