Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Reliegos (20.2km / 436.6km)

    May 15, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Well! Today was a day of extremes. Where do I start …? I know, let’s start at the very beginning.
    A gorgeous sunrise, a cool but not cold morning and a flat, flat walk! The most noticeable things on the walk were the irrigation system which was amazing to see strongly flowing water on flat, flat land and …. Hmmmm. Ok, so there was one noticeable thing!

    There are a few photos which look similar but we’re miles apart. A road on the right, a pathway and trees to the left with fairly dry land on either side.
    The walk really gives you time to think because there is no dramatic scenery to distract you and that is a gift too.
    We checked in and did the usual admin and then walked around another town that died once farming became mechanised. Jane suggested we go to “Bar Elvis” and we were first there when it opened at 5pm. The owner was an eccentric Mexican who provided some entertainment in his own way, playing country music, songs from the 70’s and done modern upbeat Mexican music.
    He allows anyone to write on the walls or ceiling! A young Frenchman came in after a bad day. We were just about done with our beer when the “Crazy Canadian ladies” - all well into their 60’s arrived. Not a good combination with the eccentric Mexican! The rest is predictable! When I said “no thanks” to another beer they laughed us off and bought one anyway and we had to return the favour. Anyway, they are great fun and everyone had a laugh.
    We had to drink down our last beer quickly to make it back to dinner. There was only one other coupe there … a quiet, older French couple who had 9 kids …. As different as they were to the crazy Canadians, we had a lovely dinner!
    So a day of extremes but each contributed to a fabulous, memorable day.
    Read more