Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 50

    Sarria (13.1km / 652.3km)

    June 1, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    It’s funny how the shorter walks can be more mentally challenging! Maybe we’re just not as well prepared as we are for a long day (like tomorrow). The beginning of the walk had steep uphill on muddy and slippery paths, so there was no gentle start and there were so many short up and downs that it was hard to get into a rhythm quickly. The map wasn’t quite right either so we weren’t 100% sure we were on the right track but got there …
    We walked in a group of 6 with a lot of chatting and a couple of stops for coffee which was quite entertaining including a Dutch lady with a lovely sense of humour and a young German girl.
    The environment was peaceful along the river with the sounds of birds all day, and through farming “hamlets”. Couldn’t quite call them villages! We eventually arrived in Sarria, our stop for the night at Albergue Pedra, run by a very friendly host. Sarria is the official start of the Camino for those who want to do the least distance and still receive a Compestella certificate of completion at the end. From Sarria we need to receive two stamps per day if we want to receive our Compestella. So Sarria is packed with many new pilgrims, easily spotted by their clean shoes and tidy clothes.
    We had a nap for the first time before heading into the city for our main meal, a walk around the city, mass (with many new pilgrim faces), a late desert and then back home.
    The food is getting seriously good, especially the seafood and veggies! They say a picture is worth a thousand words so see below!
    We’re still grateful for Jane’s feet! All good!
    And I heard yesterday that my cousin Barbara and her husband Steve will be starting in Sarria on Monday and arriving in Santiago on Friday - the same day as us. Buen Camino and see you Friday!
    Read more