Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Portomarin (23km / 675.3km)

    June 2, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    What a difference a day makes! We’ve been used to small groups and mostly walking alone unless you pass or are passed. Today there are pilgrims everywhere, many excited because it was their first day from Sarria.
    We walked with Louise, the Dutch lady we met a couple of days ago and she loves her coffee and a smoke. If she had her way she would stop at every place but we had a long day ahead. We had a half breakfast before leaving early at 7 and stopped for first breakfast 4.5km down the road. The queues really tested our patience. The food was good but we stayed much longer than we wanted to and the coffee wasn’t worth having so we stopped again 5km later. The crowd had died down a bit.
    At the 100km to go mark local had a stamp to commemorate the event and he helped by telling us with all the pilgrims on the road now this stage was the “Camino of Tolerance”.
    We walked longer than normal for lunch because of a highly recommended place called Mercadoiro and were not disappointed! Beautifully fresh salad, tender pulpa and a Sangria before our 5km walk to Portomarin. It was a long day from 7:15 to 3:45 and we were hot and tired at the end but in good shape physically and feet all good too!
    All these events distracted from some lovely scenery and villages.
    We walked around the town, found a beer and then went to an Italian place for dinner with Louise. Yummy pizza and lasagna with sangria. Tomorrow morning we will spend time in Portomarin before our short walk.
    Read more