Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Castromayor (9.1km / 684.1km)

    June 3, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    We had a short walk today so did a little time in Portomarin which has the most interesting story - something I’ve never seen before. The town, alongside a river was subject to severe flooding so they made the decision to move the town up the hill and build a dam! They moved the church and council offices stone by stone. On the church you can see the stone numbers to make sure they put each stone back in the same place. So the town has a real new and old feel to it and beautiful river banks and views.
    We waited with Louise for James and Tammy who stopped at an earlier village yesterday and then all walked together. The road was much quieter because of our later leaving time. Lots of chatting and chirping mostly because there were no coffee stops for 8km of mostly uphill walking. We stopped for a picnic snack half way up the hill which was nice. and when we eventually got to the lunch spot it was closed!
    They told us of another just 500m further where we had a lovely lunch and then walked 1km further to our Albergue for the night. Our Albergue is in the middle of nowhere with about 15 beds so it doesn’t attract the crowds and was very quiet. There was a big storm at about 4pm - I hope no one was still walking up the hill as streams of water were created.
    We enjoyed playing cards and a lovely meal with 2 younger pilgrims Cal and Kira another man staying up the hill (Manuel).
    We drank their “home-made” wine which was pretty good - hoping it won’t bite back tomorrow.
    Read more