Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Palas de Rei (15.5km / 699.6km)

    June 4, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    We’re well into the home stretch now with nice short days. We left this morning in the mist but it was quite warm. A nice walk up to the top of the hill while we talked to Theresa, Robbie and Gilbert on the phone and to mom (May) on her birthday. Happy Birthday Mom! Then a walk through forests most of the way.
    At second breakfast, Louise finally got us all to agree to a Cafe Carajillo - an espresso with a small shot of brandy! It’s quite a common thing for the locals and goes well with Tortilla.
    We were walking with Tammy, James and Louise and suddenly there was much excitement when Tammy found out that a YouTuber she and James were following was close behind us! When she saw him coming up the hill she rushed towards him and he was so kind. They walked together with him for about half an hour which made her day. His name is Efren Gonzalez and he has walked many Caminos.
    I (Ant) walked with an Englishman for a while and had to wait for the group to catch up. He was such an interesting man whose job was making and fixing stained glass windows - another first for me!
    In Palas de Rei we went to an Italian place run by an English and Irish couple just for a change and enjoyed the meal before all heading off to mass. It was a most welcoming mass with the priest making such an effort, words on a screen for pilgrims to follow and then an informal “where are you from?” session. The church was packed which was great to see. We ended with a dessert and Spanish Brandy!
    Read more