Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 59

    Semarang, Java, Indonesia

    5 de marzo, Australia ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Semarang is the capital of Java, an Indonesian province of about 100,000,000; about 85% Muslim.

    We traveled overland today on our way to Gedong Songo Temple.

    Much of our 2 hour journey ran through rural farm areas and small towns. Our coach was escorted by columns of scooters, buses, and various trucks. As with Bali before, the little towns consist of narrow streets featuring tiny shacks, metal and red tile roofs, one piled upon another, ill lit, and debri heaps littering the way. Noticeable in Bali and Semarang are the obsequious helter skelter electrical poles strung out throughout the communities. Frequent colorful mosks carve out clean, colorful, symetricsl contrasts to the surrounding bedlam. The 5x per day call to prayer adds to the panoply of scooter, music, bird, and auto noises in the background.

    Today, we took an excursion to the interior of Java to the Gedong Songo Temple situated some 4,000 feet above sea level. The temple grounds consist of 9 small ancient temple buildings esconsed in the lush green foothill, admist low resting clouds, and sulfur mists within a geography of active volcanos, about 4000 feet above sea level.

    Up through the sacred thick green hills, we rode small horses, clomping our way up sometimes 25-30% inclines and declines toward a vast clearing where we could dismount and walk the remaining steps to see the temples up close.

    Following our return to the stables, we convened to our shuttle to be whisked away to an Indonesian lunch prepared by Susan's Spa, a magnificent facility perched atop a hill with a splendid view of the countryside.

    We headed back to the ship for a haircut, rest, and dinner.
    Leer más