Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    Tatanka: Story of the Bison

    August 26, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    Great campsite last night on USFS land.
    Short hike to the waterfalls this morning. Then I went to Tatanka:
    https://www.storyofthebison.com/
    Really enjoyed it. A young native American man, who reminded me so much of David, gave a really interesting talk all about the Lakota and their culture, history and relationship with the Bison. He mentioned that there are now apps for learning many Native languages. And he also mentioned the St. Joseph's School and how it has changed & evolved and is now very important in the education of many of his people.

    There was also a movie that explained how the center came to be. Kevin Costner originally planned to build a hotel but that fell through. Eventually he built the center. He donates all the profits to the Lakota people.

    There was going to be an event tonight at the center that would feature stories and music. Unfortunately it started raining and I decided to forgo the event.

    I did go to a dinosaur park in Rapid City before driving back to the center. But as I got back to the center the rain started up. The thunderstorm got worse & worse, and I decided it was a good night to get a hotel room. So drove back to Rapid City for the night.

    Tomorrow I plan to go to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse memorial & the Badlands. Should be a busy day.
    Read more